We all knew this day would come. The day when the media made a solid attempt to claim cannabis was the cause of a death. The first of which, in over 3,000 years it would seem. The child was also epileptic.
A baby boy’s death has prompted a debate among doctors after it was claimed that he died of a cannabis overdose.
After suffering from an epileptic seizure, the 11-month-old died from heart failure in 2015 in Colorado hospital.
Mainstream media subsequently produced a report linking his death to cannabis, while other outlets told the story with all of the facts.
“We just wanted to make sure that we’re not going to call this a marijuana-related fatality if there was something else that we could point at.” Dr. Christopher Hoyte of Colorado’s Rocky Mountain Poison & Drug Center told the KUSA news channel.
Dr Hoyte has been on duty as a poison control officer when he treated the child and found his urine and blood tested positive for cannabis.
“Just one thing led to another and the kid ended up with a heart stopped. And the kid stopped breathing and died.”
The report concluded: “As of this writing, this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis.”
However, Dr Thomas Nappe who co-authored the report, told the The Washington Post: “We are absolutely not saying that marijuana killed that child.”
He argued that the word “associated” should not be interpreted as indicating a cause and effect.
Officially, the baby boy died from myocarditis, inflammation on the heart and is worse in newborns and young infants. In most cases, this is caused by a virus reaching the heart muscle but doctors ruled out viral infection as the cause.